Thank you for believing in me. With your support, I’ve been able to make a real difference in the lives of people in our community.
With your support, we have made progress on many fronts, but nothing makes me prouder than the work we’ve done to combat the selling of our children for sex. Working with a statewide coalition of partners, I have been able to:
- Convene my colleagues across the state to publicly declare that we would no longer prosecute children for prostitution, but instead treat them as the victims they are.
- Identify more sex trafficking victims and bring their traffickers to justice, more than doubling the number of cases our office has charged, including bringing down a sizable trafficking ring with our law enforcement partners in Saint Paul.
- Implement a victim-centered approach to working with children who have been sold for sex, which has not only helped the victims, but increased our ability to identify and prosecute the people who sell our children for sex.
- Work with the Women’s Foundation of Minnesota to raise awareness with kids, parents, and community leaders to help prevent this modern day slavery and rescue kids who are already trapped.
- Advance legislation at the Capitol to secure $2.8 million to fund a new statewide director, 6 regional navigators, safe shelter, and statewide training – coordinated by our office – to enhance our systemic, comprehensive response to this horrific crime.
With your support, I have been able to bring people together to get the Family Reunification Act passed by the legislature, to make possible what was formerly impossible.
By working with my colleagues across the state, legal and family advocacy organizations, and human services agencies, we were able to change the law to provide an opportunity – in select circumstances – for unadopted teens to be reunited with their families when it’s in their best interest.
With your support, I have been able to strengthen state laws to prevent auto thieves from stealing cars and scrapping them, often before owners even noticed they were gone.
By bringing the scrap metal industry, auto recyclers, and dealers together with law enforcement, we were able to change state laws to require titles to scrap vehicles and to track sales in an online database so industry members and law enforcement can work together to reduce incentives to steal cars and other metals and to catch the thieves who do.
With your support, I have been able to work to develop a veterans court track, recognizing that veterans may be struggling as a result of their service to our country and those collateral consequences may have contributed to their path into the criminal justice system.
Alongside judges, prosecutors, public defenders, veterans advocates, and veterans themselves, we are working to identify veterans as they enter the criminal justice system and connect them to the services they’ve earned to address any underlying problems.
With your support, I have been able to pilot the use of GPS technology to keep victims safe in domestic abuse situations.
By using GPS technology to track offenders and ensure they comply with no-contact orders, we are helping to keep victims safe until their cases can be heard in court.
Your support got me to office and I need your support to continue the critical work we’ve undertaken on behalf of our community.
By bringing people together to make possible what has been impossible, we are finding innovative solutions in the criminal justice system to ensure the outcomes we achieve are just, fair, and consistent with our community’s values.
Thank you again for giving me this opportunity to serve.